Receipts for the Christmas holiday weekend box office pit action-adventure and mystery suspense into theatrical queues. The 5-day run includes two animated features in the tally to date.
1. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Paramount) | 3,448 Theaters: Debuted Friday December 16, limited release; Expanded in release Tuesday December 20; Released worldwide Wednesday December 21 | Tuesday-Wednesday $9.7M; International $85M
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Sony) | 2,914 Theaters NEW: Debuted Tuesday December 20; Released Wednesday December 21 | Tuesday-Wednesday $6.3M
3. Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (Warner Bros) | 3,703 Theaters: Released worldwide Friday December 16 | Friday $4.3M
4. Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (Fox) | 3,723 Theaters: Released worldwide Friday December 16 | Friday $3.5M
5. The Adventures of Tintin (Paramount) | 3,087 Theaters NEW: Released Wednesday December 21 | Friday $2.5M; International (Sony) $239.1M
Fox has released a trailer for director Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. Originally serenaded within Hollywood
sects as Alien Prequel, the screenplay was etched by writers Jon Spaihts and “Lost” alum Damon Lindelof. The movie features Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Kate Dickie, Rafe Spall, Ben Foster, Logan Marshall-Green, Sean Harris, Benedict Wong, Emun Elliot and Guy Pearce.
Prometheus is scheduled for theatrical bow June 8, 2012.